If the plumbing system in your home in Lake Forest is working right, you probably don’t think much about it when you flush the toilet or take a shower. But when your plumbing system breaks down, you start thinking about it quite a bit. At Saddleback Plumbing, our Lake Forest plumbers respond to a lot of calls for service in the Lake Forest area. We thought that it would be helpful for our customers if we put together a quick list of some things that will help you get the most out of your plumbing system.
Maintenance is one of the best ways that you can protect your home and your plumbing system. Regular maintenance should always be performed by a professional plumber. A licensed plumber will have the experience and training to know exactly what to look for and how to fix any potential problems. Here are a few things that your plumber might do during maintenance.
- Pipe inspections – Using a small video camera, plumbers can look inside your home’s plumbing system to find any problems. They can also discover clogs or blockages that are in the process of forming.
- Leak detection – During regular maintenance, your plumber can look for small leaks or places where leaks might occur.
- Drain cleaning – Having your drains regularly cleaned is a great way to keep your plumbing system working well consistently. With regular maintenance, you can stop blockages before they completely block your plumbing and your water wont’ drain.
Your Garbage Disposal
One area in your home that gets a lot of use is the kitchen. One great way to get the most out of your kitchen’s plumbing system is to be careful about what you let go down the sink. Here are a few things that you shouldn’t put down the garbage disposal.
- Grease – We all love bacon. But the grease that forms from cooking it should never go down your sink. Once it gets into your plumbing system it will cool and form a sticky solid. This can trap other food and form a clog.
- Stringy or starchy foods – Foods like celery, asparagus have strong fibers that can get wrapped around your garbage disposal or clog up your drains. Starchy foods like pasta, rice and potato skins expand when the get in water. As they expand they can clog up your drains as well.
- Bones and fruit pits – These are hard and dense materials that your garbage disposal probably won’t be able to break apart.
If you would like to learn more about plumbing maintenance in Lake Forest, then call the expert plumbers at Saddleback. We would love to schedule a time to visit your home and look over your plumbing system. Contact us today!