For those of us with sump pumps in Orange County, their maintenance is one of the most important things to make a little time for on a regular basis. If a sump pump is not working properly it could mean flooding of a home or office building that sits below the water table level, or that had a basement waterproofing system in place. Flooding can mean excessive damage to not only the basement, but to any other lower floors, and even foundation damage which will all then need to be repaired or replaced completely. With such simple precautionary steps as performing a few quick plumbing maintenance checks it is easy to keep that sump pump running properly without such damage. A good time to go about sump pump maintenance is during early Springtime prior to the rainy season when the weather changes once again and other areas of the home or building are being checked as well.
- For electric sump pumps: Ensure the sump pump is plugged into a working outlet, and that the cord is in good shape. Due to the damp, the breakers on these outlets can trip more easily, which then shuts off the sump pump. This is a simple fix as the breaker just needs to be reset.
- For battery powered sump pumps: replace the battery as often as is recommended by the manufacturer. On back-up battery powered pumps, replace the battery every two to three years.
- Check that the sump pump is standing upright. Since sump pumps vibrate they can fall to one side, which can jam vital parts, causing it not to activate properly. While upright, all working parts should be free to move as necessary.
- Pick up submersible pumps to clean the grate on the bottom. Ensure that there are no small stones in the grate which could block the inlet or damage the pump.
- Check that outlet pipes are tightly joined together, check that their outlet is at least twenty feet from the foundation of the home or building, and that when the sump pump is on it is actually removing water through the pipes.
- Clean the vent hole in the discharge pipe, remove any debris which was stuck in it.
Besides performing maintenance on a sump pump annually, it is good to check it again after heavy rains to ensure that it is still removing water properly. Also check it after longer dry spells by dumping a bucket or two of water near the machine to make sure it starts up automatically and that it drains efficiently. While most new models have indicators which alert you when the pump is not working properly, it is still good to physically check the machine periodically to ensure it is running properly. With proper sump pump maintenance your sump pump will give you great service for a long time. Call Saddleback Plumbing to schedule your next simp pump maintenance vist.