The garbage disposal is a convenience that few people think about until it runs into problems. But the garbage disposal is a useful appliance, and without it you may clog your drain more often, and cooking or cleaning may become more difficult. That’s why you should do everything in your power to keep your garbage disposal working its best.
The following tips can help you keep your garbage disposal in top shape so that it can last for years. If you do run into problems that require the services of a kitchen plumbing expert, be sure to call a professional, like the plumbers at Saddleback Plumbing in Irvine.
- No non-food items: First and foremost, you should never put non-food items down the disposal, and this includes your hands! Non-food items can damage the disposal blades and clog your pipes. If you run into repair needs, be sure not to put any items down the drain, and call on a kitchen plumbing professional instead.
- Small quantities only: The garbage disposal chops food into smaller pieces so that it can move down the drain easily with the rest of your home’s wastewater, but you should still break up larger food items to make the job easier for your unit and to avoid over-exhaustion.
- Avoid these foods: There are many foods you should avoid putting into the disposal entirely. These include hard foods like popcorn, the hard shells of shellfish like crabs, and animal bones. You should also avoid fibrous foods like celery and corn husks, as well as any grease or oils.
- Run cold water: Running cold water every time you use the garbage disposal can help break down oils so they’re easier to process.
- Sharpen the blades: You can keep the blades of your unit sharp by throwing in a few handfuls of ice cubes occasionally.
- Keep blades clean: You can also clean the blades by adding in some baking soda and vinegar or lemon juice.
These tips can help you get a longer lifespan out of your garbage disposal. But if the need for repairs or replacement comes up, call the professionals at Saddleback Plumbing for kitchen plumbing services in Irvine.