One of the most common plumbing components to cause a leak in the home is the toilet. While this installation uses a fairly simple flushing and refilling system to operate, it can fall victim to leaks just like any other device in the home that handles water. If your toilet begins to leak, it may be due to any of the following problems. Keep in mind that you should always trust a professional for any major bathroom plumbing repairs in Lake Forest, CA, like the friendly, experienced plumbers at Saddleback Plumbing.
- Drain Clog: If water is backing up into your home from the toilet after you flush, it’s probably due to a drain clog, either near the opening of the toilet or further down in the drain pipe. For clogs close to the drain opening, a plunger will usually do the trick. However, if the clog is further along in the pipes it may affect multiple components of your plumbing system, and you’ll need a professional to use the proper drain cleaning tools for removal.
- Problems with the Float Assembly: The float assembly is the portion inside of the tank that allows water to fill up the bowl and drain when it is flushed. If the float is improperly installed, or if components are aged and wearing away, water will run continuously, which could result in leaks from the tank or out of an overflowing bowl.
- Seals, Washers, and Bolts: Another possible reason for an overflowing tank is if the toilet seal, washers, or bolts that hold the toilet in place and secure it to the floor are loose or worn away. This should not be a difficult fix for a trained plumber. In the meantime, you can shut off water to your toilet with the valve located near the bottom of the bowl.
- Cracked Tank or Bowl: Unfortunately, there are a couple of instances in which a leaky toilet cannot be repaired. One of these is if the tank or bowl develops a crack. This generally requires immediate replacement to prevent water from flooding into your home and damaging your property.
- Corrosion: Another major problem could be if the pipes in the toilet assembly fall victim to corrosion. This may mean that components in your plumbing system need replacement. Be sure to schedule plumbing maintenance every year to prevent this possibility from catching you off guard.
Call Saddleback Plumbing anytime you encounter a problem with your bathroom plumbing in Lake Forest, CA. We offer fast and professional service to get your bathroom back to normal as quickly as possible.